Wednesday, October 29, 2008
People have speculated for two-hundred years over the derivation of the term Indian Summer. Many guesses as to where it came from have been tried but here is the correct and proper answer—or maybe I made it up yesterday.
Indian summer which must follow a hard frost is named after the time of year when the indigenous peoples of the plains harvested crops. Crops the natives planted east of the Missouri River and the harvest of wild plumbs and roots west of the big river. It was also the time for hunting, curing and storing of the meat for the winter sure to come.
There you have it from the one who knows—or made it up—Indian Summer!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
The economy is making a real mess of the candidate’s promises for less taxes and help with everything from health insurance to house payments.
If you have not made up your mind yet write in the old coach, if I win I’ll do something, not sure what. But here is my best try.
• I will put a chicken in every pot—opps, think FDR already promised that.
• Read my lips, no new taxes, opps, think Bush # 1 said that.
• Snow in the months of December, January and February only.
• A law against cell phones in the grocery store—“do we need butter, honey? How’s the milk, and did you say we were out of crackers?”
• Gas prices to remain at $1.25 per gallon
Large government grants will go to
• Inventors working on a trash can that will separate and recycle after I throw everything in.
• Someone that invents a car that runs on air
• A peace plan that works
• And finally to a member of the U.S. House or Senate that is elected to be a statesman not just a politician.
• Oh and a large grant to me so I can get a place on the beach in Hawaii during Wyoming’s six or eight months of winter.
Can’t wait for the election to be over so my taxes will go down, my business will be saved, my health insurance will be paid for, the air will be cleaner, we will be respected around the globe and all will be good in the world—again.
Thursday, October 2, 2008
I’m watching the Vice Presidential Debate as I write this blog so if I end in the middle of a sentence I must have had a heart attach.
“What could cause a wise old guy like you to have a heart attach,” you ask.
If one or the other says any of the following—
- Anything about balancing the Budget
- Something that would bail me out
- Lower gasoline prices
- That someone has figured out something about Iraq and Afghanistan.
- I’m starting to think about turning to the Baseball Game—don’t count that one.
- Start paying down the deficit***or is that too much like number one?
- Lucky for me I caught myself, on number six above, I typed defecate instead deficit-wow- talk about a Freudian slip. Good thing I caught it before publishing, might have messed up my chance to win a blogging Pulitzer.
- The guy I’m running with is a dud but elect me as VP and the country will be on the right track
- We caught Osama ben Laden.
- I will, we will, when elected—Bla, Bla, Bla *-* Bla, Bla –About ready to turn this stuff off.
- Same old promises I will vote for the one that is telling the truth—now who is that?
Remember, regardless of how you feel, get out and vote, vote early and vote often.
One final note, be sure to …………………………