Part Of My Backyard Garden

Part Of My Backyard Garden
July 25, 2013

Saturday, December 6, 2014

My All New Wyoming Onion

My northern sweet onion experiment has been a success. Although the Granex Hybrid 33, (from Texas) is considered a southern onion (This is the seed used in Georgia to grow the Vidalia) and not particularly suitable as a northern onion I have had great success with them the past two years. Sweet onions are known to be notoriously bad as storage onions. Maybe it’s the northern climate but these have done pretty well in storage.
I harvested my onions in August and am still enjoying them. Four months is a good bit of storage for these. Sadly I now have only a few left. I gave quite a few away, wish I would have saved more as it looks like they will go another month or two.
Unlike the fall started sweet onions in the south, I planted my seed in February and set the plants out 10 weeks later. My secret? Even water and I give them quite a bit.

The Onion pictured below will be my all new, Wyoming Hybrid Happy Face Onion, on sale in all great vegetable markets near you soon – just kidding, but I thought this was a pretty cool looking onion.
The smile is created by the onion reaching near the end of storage life

No comments: