Part Of My Backyard Garden

Part Of My Backyard Garden
July 25, 2013

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Spring and the New Garden


Must be getting close to spring. How am I so sure that spring is close? I planted my first seed flats yesterday.

Not much, only 72 cells, all flowers, petunias, pansies snapdragons and some very bright red poppies. Might be a bit early for the snapdragons but the petunias and pansies will need 12 weeks and that puts me to the middle of May. As for the poppies, have had a tough time growing poppies from seed in my beds the last few years. This is my first attempt at starting them in flats. If they get too big I will put them in a pot I can bring in at night.

March 1, I will be starting my tomatoes and onions. I have grown my own onion plants the last few years and I have been very satisfied with the results.

Tonight a good gardening class at the school—yep, spring is near!

2 comments:

Holly said...

You do have to tell me your trick about starting onions. Mine are always so spindly. How much light do you give them and how much do you fertilize?

Neil A. Waring said...

Hi Holly - I just started doing the Onions two years ago because the selection of seed is so good. Unlike sets or plants when you get the typical yellow or white. I plant them in pots or cups about 2 or three inch ones.(5 per) I put them in an outdoor greenhouse, one of the small $50 ones with four shelves so lots of light. I bring them in at dark, take um out the next morning. Love them this way.