Part Of My Backyard Garden

Part Of My Backyard Garden
July 25, 2013

Monday, March 17, 2014

My Quest for the First Tomato of the Season


Onion Sets 1 month old
Maybe we have turned the corner. The weather is warming and the frost is out of the ground in my garden. No, not time to plant yet, but I will be putting in some radishes, peas and carrots the first week of April. If they don’t come up I will replant on the 15th and put in my potatoes. I start getting serious the first week of May. We can still get the little cold snap in May but I will put out onions and plant more peas, radishes and carrots in early May.

I save my tomatoes for later, around the twentieth of May.
3 week old tomato plants


 I do have two pots that I start tomato seeds in and add soil after they get their first true leaves, a little at a time. This way I have no transplant shock. These plants, a cherry and a yellow pear tomato, are on the deck on sunny days now.



I will get my first tomatoes from these in early June. Hope it will drive the gardeners around me crazy when I have fresh tomatoes six weeks before them.

I am now planting more flowers for my boarders, most of the first planting are growing but others I didn't want to start this early.

Hollyhocks at three weeks
 

No comments: